Search This Blog

Kimberly

Kimberly
Only when you learn to love yourself, are you able to truly love another.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Recently, I was challenged to write my definition of an adult. Hmmm...odd request. I guess I haven't really thought about it, but realized that I have been excluding myself from the"adult" population. Here is what I came up with...

An Adult Is One Who...

*Is confident in who they are
*Is aware of their talents, strengths & weaknesses
*Is able to make good decision
*Is able to care for themselves & are aware of their needs as well as the needs of others
*Is wise and able to grow and learn from past experiences
*Is able to provide for themselves & family, both emotionally and financially
*Embraces their passions in life
*Takes an active part in life
*Is genuinely authentic
*Is able to express themselves & communicate effectively
*Is able to set & accomplish realistic goals
*Is mature & acts rationally
*Is responsible & reliable
*Honors their morals, values & beliefs

The surprising thing to me is that I, at the age of 27, do not see myself as an adult. However, after thinking about and writing this, I've realized a few things...

1. Being an adult is a process, continually making progress, constantly growing.
2. It is ok to be where I am right now.
3. Each of us is different, unique and learn and grow through different experiences, different choices, different passions, values and strengths.
4. We are continually living one day at a time, experiencing life that allows us to be our own, unique, individual adult self.

I have been doing a lot of internal evaluation and self-inventory, and realized that I have not been actively living. I had mentally checked-out and life has been passing me by. If we are not truly living, we miss out on the things we discover daily about ourselves. So here's to living - experiencing the joys, the pains, successes and failures, brokeness, confidence, doubt and faith.

Growth is a process. Adulthood is a process. Live, learn and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment